Friday, December 9, 2011

Toy Memories Christmas Tree

I started this tree when my oldest 2 (who are now in the 20’s) were toddlers! A coworker had one and I thought it was such a great idea.  Even with just 2 kids under 3, we were amassing a huge amount of dolls and stuffed animals.  We had weeded out a few that they weren’t fond of, but most of them were much loved and they didn’t want to part with them.

The problem was solved with the stuffed animal tree…

1207 011

Their beloved friends were saved from the goodwill box.  My kids still are filled with wonderment every year,  seeing their long-loved animal friends again!  So cute! 

And the rest of the year, the animals are neatly stored in Rubbermaid boxes…

1207 003

Smaller animals and dolls go at the top, gradually getting larger toward the bottom,  Save the biggest to go around the trunk.  Double knot the yarn around the neck and keep stacking those animals onto the tree. 

If you use lights on your animal tree, make sure they are LED lights, as they will be resting against the stuffed animals in some places.    

1207 006

My coworker had an elaborate wood and chicken wire, cone-shaped structure that her husband made.  It’s really heavy and nice, but it doesn’t collapse and we don’t have room to store one!  Our animals are simply tied onto a cheapo 5 foot artificial tree.

1207 001 

 


The teddy bear toy soldiers presiding over the top of the tree are the oldest toys in our collection and my favorite…

My Grammy tied them on our Christmas packages many years ago and they’ve been a part of Christmas ever since!

When you are ready to pack it away, just clip the yarn and repack the toys in their boxes. Simple!

 

 

So.  If you have room to store them, consider saving those cherished animals and dolls for a toy memory tree…

1207 012

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Maggie Massey said...

Oh my gosh, this tree is wonderful! My daughter freaked out when she saw it...I think I'm going to have to start one...;) Thank you so much for sharing it at my Christmas tree linky!!!

Mindie Hilton said...

Very cool. Thank you for sharing at Bacon Time. Wishing you a very special Christmas.

the cape on the corner said...

wow, what a neat idea! i saw this featured on under the table and dreaming, so i thought i need to come over here and tell you how unique this is!

Dana "G" said...

I know that this thread is ancient, but I'm still going to comment. ha!

I plan to do a stuffed animal Christmas tree this year because last year my sweet grandbabies broke some of my favorite ornaments. (Seems that it's my fault and not the responsibility of the parents to teach them better.) Anywho....I have bags of my daughters stuffed animals from the 90s...yes, I suppose I'm a hoarder. I'll use these! Can wait to see how it turns out! I actually had the idea, but I found this while trying to see how to tie them to the tree. I wasn't sure about them looking like they've been sentenced to the gallows by tying something around their neck. LOL! I do like the yarn idea on this page. Thank you!

Shelley said...

Thank you for your comment! Have fun decorating your toy tree! I think it will be wonderful :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...